The heat of Summer is upon us! That May snow is a foggy memory as we are in the middle of 80 and 90 degree temps. Factor in the humidity and some days you can work up a sweat just letting the dog out. Ayurvedically speaking, we are in the middle of Pitta season. Pitta is a combination of the Fire and Water elements. When Pitta gets out of balance some ways we see this manifest is:
- Short Tempers
- Red, itchy, or dry eyes
- General irritability or uneasiness
- A strong push to get things done or to tackle large projects
- Intense hunger / excessive thirst
- Loose Stools
- Skin rashes, hives, or acne
- inflammations or “itis” in the body tissues and organs
In Ayurveda our goal is to balance the elements. If left untreated these symptoms progress intoo disease. Some easy ways to help balance the iintensity of Pitta are:
- Eat cooling, non-spicy foods (watermelon, cucumber, rice….)
- Favor sweet, bitter, and astringents tastes
- Eat light meals that digest easily
- Drink room temperature water with lime (no ice)
- Avoid oily, fried, and salty foods
- start your day with a coconut oil massage before showering
- Join me for classes that focus on pacifying Pitta through the summer heat!
If you are experiencing any of these or other symptoms, please contact me for your Ayurvedic Consultation. Your light sensitive eyes and acid reflux are realted and can bell helped eaily and naturally!
Wishing you health, happiness, and harmony!